Wednesday, November 5, 2008

14 Million People!

"This is our moment, this is our time." said by President Obama.
Isn't it incredible that 14 million more people voted this year then ever before. I am so proud to be an American. We as a country have come to a point where we will not stand for anything else but improvement and change. Obama is such an amazing symbol that our country can change and last night with his incredibly articulate and inspiring speech it has. I believe our President will be able to unite our country in a way we desperately need it to. If there is any man that can bring republicans and democrats (and everyone in between) together in a short period of time, Obama is it.

I actually cried this morning when I watched his speech. Given that I am a white woman who was born in 1978 I have not experienced first hand what the African American population has been through. It has always been a lesson in my history class. Old black and white pictures. Something I have honestly underestimated and put in the back of my mind. But today I actually felt the emotion, the growth, the pride.

"So now it is time we get to work." says Diane Sawyer. We get to work. That never occurred to me. I've been watching the debates as a cheer leader, maybe even more like a fan that smiles and doesn't get to involved. But WE do have work. I haven't decided exactly what that means for me personally but if Obama has a job cut out for him so do I. In fact each of us does. It is going to take change on all of our parts to make our new master mind really make history in a short time. So I'll keep you posted as to my actions but I encourage everyone one to make a commitment, make a stand, take a HUGE Leap for our community. I felt today that I could actually go and work for this man and his cause. Now I honestly have no idea how I would even begin to help, let alone which of the several areas of interest I would choose from as there are many on the table I am passionate about. But I definitely think the first is educated myself and more importantly educating Kaitlin and Emma. Pretty cool stuff I tell ya!

So I was out doing my official business until about 12:30am driving thousands of ballots from Morgan Hill/San Martin/Gilroy area up to San Jose. You should have seen the back of my trailblazer. There wasn't an inch to spare. Then I went to our local bowling alley bar to celebrate with a friend over an apple martini. (yeah it was literally the only place open in Morgan Hill, we live in a very family oriented community) Got to bed around 2:30 and woke up at 7am. I am in love with the new coffee mate flavor cinnamon vanilla. Yummy yummy yummy. But I'll tell ya what watching all of these rallies this morning on TV made me SO sad. I wish I had been there! The energy was seepingly cool. Is that a word?

Ok it is 5 minutes before we need to head out-o-here and get Kaitlin off to school!
Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written. Love your enthusiasm. Gotta love having a blog!